An Elephant in Cepheus

Well, I think I finally have my rig sorted and settings dialled-in. This has took some time with equipment changes/upgrades and not many clear(ish) nights to try them out.... BUT.... the other night was good to go.

I thought I would target something "bright" and one I had not imaged before, so I chose IC1396 - the Elephant's trunk Nebula. It lies some 2,400 light years away in Cepheus. A good choice as it is circumpolar from my location.

My imaging window closed due to cloud just as I had 3 hours worth of data - a good chunk to work on!

IC1396 Elephant's Trunk Nebula in Cepheus

57 x 3min. subs. RGB
Askar FRA400 with Optolong L-eNhance filter
Altair Hypercam 533C (Offset: 50 / Gain: 200 / HCG: On / Bin: 1x1 / -10degC.)
Processed in Affinity Photo

Clear skies
MJ


Comments