You know.... that green one?

There isn't much that can beat a comet in the night sky (if anything) but when they do grace us with their presence we like to give them names, like say, C/2002 E3 (ZTF) or "The Green Comet" which was discovered by the Zwicky Transient Facility on 2nd March 2022.

It is a long period comet from the Oort cloud and we only have about another month until this comet is gone for another 50,000 years and arguably it has given us it's best display already.
Due to it's position in the sky from my location I have had to wait until now (31st Jan 2023) to try and image it.

And what do you know - 3/4 Moon and gusty wind!

I did try my best and I managed to get about 30 minutes of imaging time.
What looks like a light gradient to the bottom-left is the actual dust from the comet and you can just make out the ion tail too to the right.

Comet C/2002 E3 (ZTF)

Clear skies
MJ

Comments