That Eureka Moment

 Those of you who read this may know that I've been after an image (or sometimes just to see it) of Andromeda for the past decade.

So last night I was going to try for an open cluster but I went out too early so I roughly polar aligned and then thought I'd look for the Andromeda Galaxy whilst I waited.  Using the new red dot finder I found it in 15 minutes and got the best focus I could.

The moon was 98 % full but had only just come up when I started taking the images and was also in the opposite direction. 

I got a batch of 40 and 50 second exposures with ISO's set at 1000 and 800 respectively, I kept it low as the moon was bright.

I was left with 70 pictures that looked like this;


I stacked successfully in batches of all of one length of exposures and then processed each one, I also combined the two resulting stacks as well as stacking all together.  Processing was difficult and I ended up using Photoshop, Lightroom and FastStone and I pushed everything up to get what data I could but did pull out this

Andromeda Galaxy (M31)

Combined the two stacks of 35* 40 + 50 sec exposures

Edited in Lightroom, Photoshop and FastStone

ISO 800 - 1000

Olympus OMD Mk1

WO Z61

Baader moonglow filter


Andromeda Galaxy (M31)

One stack 35* 40 + 50 sec exposures

Edited in Lightroom, Photoshop and FastStone

ISO 800 - 1000

Olympus OMD Mk1

WO Z61

Baader moonglow filter


The light at the top of the of the pictures is the glow from Sheffield city centre.

I know there are better picture, MJ took a brilliant one, but for my first attempt I'm very pleased and if tonight is clear watch this space.........


AL

Comments