Eh? A Pelican? - Yes, IC5070 don't you know.

So here's one I have been meaning to get for a long time and indeed takes me back a couple of years to when I was determined (and struggling) to get my Mac working properly with my imaging setup (long since gave up I'm afraid as no proper full support for Mac :( and now fully on Windows.)

It was lovely and warm last night (17th July 2021). Dressed in shorts and t-shirt and with a lovely brew of Cooling Towers Coffee for company (https://store.cafeology.com/products/roastology-cooling-towers), I setup in plenty of time. I polar aligned at around 10:30pm (just darkish by then) and started to get the target framed.
This took on a life of it's own (about 1 hour!) before I realised the reason I couldn't make the stars I was seeing from the live view of the camera match an image from the net was because I was in zoom mode with APT (Astro Photography Tool).
With that obstacle sorted I successfully framed the target and started the imaging run.

I give you IC5070 - The Pelican Nebula:


A very bright HII region near the North America Nebula (NGC7000) in the constellation of Cygnus The Swan some 1,800 light years distant.

22 x 300 secs. (1hr 50mins)
Approx. 40% Gain / Bin 1x1
Optolong L-eNhance filter
Processed with Deep Sky Stacker and Affinity Photo

Clear skies
MJ



Comments