Messier 101 - The Pinwheel Galaxy with Lemon Drizzle

The Pinwheel Galaxy or Messier 101 was my target the other night. I realise that it is quite light still even in the middle of the night here in the UK. In fact I stayed up until 3am and it didn't really get dark at all.

M101 lies in Ursa Major at 21 million light years.

In post processing (Deep Sky Stacker) I decided to try "2x drizzling" which I have not done before - increases image size without any degradation in quality. The technique was developed by the Hubble space telescope image processing team as the mirror was infamously flawed.

Apparently it is only really worth trying if you use dithering during your imaging run (default if using PHD2).



30 x 300 secs.
One Shot Colour CMOS / Unity Gain / Bin 1x1
SkyTech LPRO Max filter
Processed with Deep Sky Stacker and Affinity Photo

Clear skies.
MJ


Comments