Astrophotography with a 50mm Lens

I have been thinking about downsizing my gear recently.  For one reason it'd be great to have a portable kit to take camping with me and also because I want to shoot and go.

Now I'm conscious that there is no such thing as shoot and go as this blog will testify.  MJ has spent years honing his craft and the improvement in his images reflect that.  I, on the other hand, have neither the patience or the darker skies that he has so I have been looking at getting a Redcat 51 later in the year as that can be used as a wildlife lens as well.

Anyhow, I still have a love of the night sky and thought I would try some shots while its still dark enough early in the evening to fire of some shots before 10pm. 

These are what I took with my Olympus OMD EM10 Mark I of the moon, Hyades and Orion.  I was surprised to see some colour on the nebula.  The Orion and Hyades are at 20 seconds and 250 ISO (Low ISO due to their being a full moon)

What I have learnt is that using a tracking mount certainly helped and the blur on the stars is me needing to wear my glasses whilst focusing!



                                






Clear Skies.

Al

Comments