Winter cometh.... Messier 45 (The Pleiades)

So, with the rise of the winter constellations it was time at last (the weather has been shocking!) to get out and get some photons.

I have been tinkering with my kit of late so I wanted to have a test run before winter was truly upon us.

Over the summer I had fallen back to a laptop running Windows with PHD2 and APT (my two goto programs for astro) and all is good of course with that setup.

However, the pull of a (used) MacBook dragged me kicking and screeming (hardly) to the Apple camp once more and so I was determined this time to iron out the gremlins and get a workable solution on the Mac.

Long story short - I have Windows 10 running within Virtual Box. This in turn has PHD2, APT and Deep Sky Stacker installed.
I have run this setup before with 2 main issues:
1. The intermittent dropping of the USB connection to the mount thus also dropping pulse guiding
-- solved by using "On mount" (ST4 cable) guiding and recalibrating PHD2
2. Power timeout issues / energy saving between Windows 10 and macOS
-- solved by tweaking the advanced power settings within Windows and macOS.

All is good with the world.

Here is a quick (Total 28min 30sec using 90sec subs) M45 - The Pleiades.
(The framing is a bit off and I need much more data, but it was a test run :) )

Clear skies.
MJ.


PS - I have been drinking Horsham Coffee Roaster's Christmas Blend.

Comments