The Waxing Gibbous Moon

As the next few nights are going to be cloudy I decided to have a look at the moon.

I mounted my Skywatcher 130PDS onto my new mount, taking it to it's max payload.  Due to the Crayford focusing issues mentioned in previous blogs I had to hold the scope with one hand and the focal tube with the other.  Not ideal and I won't be doing it again, however as the exposure time was so short I thought, why not.  I'm glad I did.


I think I've pushed the sharpness a little too much but there is quite a bit of detail on there.  

I particularly like all the detail around Tycho in the lower middle of the shot.


The above is Mare Imbrium,  the landing site for Luna 2 in 1959, Luna 17 in 1970 and more recently Chang E 3 in 2013. The crater in the top left is Sinus Iridum which is surrounded by the Montes Jura.

The trails from the bottom right is the "splash" from the Copernicus crater

The picture settings were;  1/800 exposure, ISO 320 using the telescope as the lens.

Al

Comments