Astrophotography auto guiding setup with a Mac (Part 1b)

OK, so who said this was going to be easy...?
Unsurprisingly this journey has a steep learning curve and I have had to re-think the way in which I connect my devices and the software which does this.

I did successfully connect all the hardware and software components with little fuss, but it was when I came to actually use them as a system that problems occurred.

My first issue was using the ZWO ASI as a guide-camera. I had focused this during the day, so that both my imaging camera and guide camera were at focus at the same time - but could I find a guide star - NO! Even when loosening-off the guide camera to give some focus adjustment.

My other issue was with EQMac - it seemed to lose pointing accuracy after switching back to normal operation. So it seems that whilst EQMac is controlling the mount (which it does well) it does not keep track of where it is pointing / has moved to.

It has also become apparent that using ST4 would be the best option at this stage - Keep it simple stupid / Walk before you run / etc.

So, a re-think and hence why I have called this Part 1b.

I am going to use an Altair Astro GPCAM AR0130 MONO camera (which is more sensitive and smaller) for the guiding.
I then found that PHD2 v2.6.6 does not (yet) include a native driver for this camera on the Mac and so I need a way for this to be connected, which leads me too ……. INDIGO server.

As I am going to control the mount with ST4 (cable from guide camera to mount) I no longer need INDIGO to connect to the mount - an issue I had earlier.
That said, I don’t think I gave it enough time. As I am kind-of forced down this road I am going to give it a fair go this time!

SynScan Driver Versions
Hand Controller - 4.39.05
Mount Controllers - 2.04
http://skywatcher.com/download/software/

Software to install
INDIGO Server (3.12_471)
-- Connects to Altair Astro guide camera
http://www.indigo-astronomy.org/downloads.html

PHD2 Guiding (v2.6.6)
-- Connects via INDIGO server to Altair guide camera
(Camera: Altair | Mount: On-camera | Aux: via INDI)
https://openphdguiding.org/

Clear skies
MJ

Comments