Saturday, March 15, 2014

Photoediting

As this blog drifts more into the black arts of astrophotography I thought I would impart a little of what I have learnt about processing.

Using a couple of images I have posted within the last couple of months and armed with a couple of hours reading tutorials on the internet I thought I'd give it ago.

My first target was the purple "noise" in the corner of some of my earlier shots.  This was removed using both the Chromatic Aberration sliders in Lightroom and also boosting the colour on the noise reduction slider in the same software.  Finally the last thing I did was change the white balance to as shot, rather than the custom settings which were being added as standard.  This was the result;


As you can see there is still a little "blow out" at the line of termination and that is due to me trying to sharpen it as best I can although I may sacrifice the extreme detail in future shots for a more rounded image.




The above is two pictures joined using photoshops automate feature.  It's OK but has the "natural" appearance and we all know the moon is grey, right?  Again I have my red hue down the line of termination.
As the last couple of blogs have been focusing on Mare Imbrium I thought I would steer towards that.  Using the above image I heavily adjusted the colour sliders in the hope that I could lose that redness;


As you can see I almost succeeded! By adjusting the colours, even though the image is black and white, it has bought out a little more contrast.  I particularly like the "wave-like" formation at the top left which is the area with the most unfortunate name of Mare Frigoris.

The starting images weren't my best so with a better starting point I'm hoping to improve on the above.

I'm quite happy I just need to spend as much time with the pc as I do with the telescope!

Al

No comments:

Post a Comment