Jupiter and The Orion Nebula

Well, last night started out as a great opportunity to catch Jupiter, but alas, all I got was a picture of the Galilean moons in a great straight line - from Jupiter they are Io, Europa, Ganymede and Callisto. I think unless I invest in a decent barlow (for use with prime focus with the camera) I am never gunna get Jupiter "properly". I may get better results taking less saturated images and then staking them?

But now onto the best astro photo I have ever taken to date ....

So, before I got the Jupiter shot it was one of the best nights there has been for a long time, so I set up early in the daylight and got everything spot on. This also gave the scope time to cool down - and boy did it cool down - the deck was like an ice rink when I got out!

Slightly disappointed from the Jupiter shot I swung to an old friend in the South-East, Orion, and to the famous Orion Nebula. (My favourite since I was 10 seen as you can see it with the naked-eye, binoculars or telescope).
I simply set the camera to take a suitable exposure and then looked in expletive surprise at what appeared on the camera review screen.



Canon EOS M 30sec. ISO6400 mounted at prime focus on Vixen VMC110L (4.3in). Single shot processed.

MJ

Comments