Saturn, at last.














I first saw Saturn through my new telescope on 18th January 2011 and I'll remember it for a long time. I was amazed at the colour and the way it outstripped everything else I'd seen so far. Yes, I knew what it would like; rings, check, browny colour, check, but nothing can prepare you for your first actual sighting. It was easy to find (SSW, 40 degrees elevation about 6.30am to 7.00am) and stood out in the eyepiece.

The next morning, same time, I tried to get some images and have included them here. Obviously they don't quite match the image that I'm portraying in words but you can see what it is!! The one directly above is 150X mag whereas the shot to the right is about 50X. Camera shake (nerves?) and the speed needed for the set up got me but I'll keep trying.

I've included a little video which I intended to use the frames from and stack to make one decent picture but it didn't work so you can see the full 15 seconds. Note how fast it moves across the eyepiece. The magnification is about 50x.


Now to shoot the phases of Venus!

Al

Comments